Thursday, June 02, 2005

How Can They Tell?

The point of spam is it's supposed to be so cheap that one hit in a million or so will still be profitable. E-mail is cheap. Personal telephone calls are not.

The other day the phone rang in my office at around 6:30 p.m. I made the mistake of answering.

"Is this Dennis!?" the voice asked.

"Yes," I responded warily. I didn't really want to talk to anyone who actually knew who I was. It could mean more work.

"Well, Dennis!, we have your prescription for penis-enlargement drugs...."

Without thinking, I hung up on him. I should have fucked with him more, but I was so annoyed it was all I could do.

6 comments:

Jon said...

Oh sorry, that was me. I make it a personal habit to prank call all my blogger buddies at work. kidding. ^_^

Steve said...

You should've told him, 'GREAT! Can I try my new, enlarged penis out on you?'

p.p. said...

Interesting that they knew it was you -- trying to sell you penis-enlargement drugs. Makes one think... ;)

Modigliani said...

Well, don't feel too bad. I haven't gotten any phone calls yet, but my bulk inbox fairly frequent penis enlarging spam, with my name in it and everything. And I'm a WOMAN!

kat said...

wow, telemarketing calls at work? that's harsh....

Dennis! said...

Steve: If I had been of quick wit, I would have said something like that. Unfortunately, I am slow on the draw.

Peter: I know! It's like they've installed some secret camera in the locker room or something. Not that I'm admitting to anything, of course....

Modig: What, you don't want a bigger penis?

Kat: I get telemarketing calls at work, but usually they're "we have a great set of treatises you might want to buy." Not "we can make your dick bigger." Grrrr.