Thursday, July 14, 2005

Oh But That I Were This Powerful. And Popular.

It's amusing to have a hurricane named after you. The headlines alone make for a fun day. A friend of mine IM'd me a few days ago to tell me that I'd killed five Haitians. It took me a bit before I figured out what she meant. Apparently my murder spree rose to ten shortly thereafter. A little depressing. Certainly not something I wanted to take credit for.

So I get to read the headlines about people fleeing me for their lives, or about me commanding an evacuation, or me destroying everything in my path. It's pretty fun. Of course, Dennis killing Haitians isn't as much fun. But in general it's humorous to think I wield such power.

I remember a few years ago a different hurricane was named Dennis. Sometime that day, a buddy of mine IM'd me to say, "you're churning out to sea!" I had no idea what he meant until I clicked over to the news to reveal that that particular Hurricane Dennis (which I think had become a tropical storm by then) had, in fact, left the seacoast and made its way into the ocean.

But all those headlines pale in comparison to this sign spotted near Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, sent to me by my friend Chris who lives near there:



15 comments:

kat said...

that. is. AWESOME.

Unknown said...

Please let this be a horrible weather season. If we can make it to "v," I get to play along too this year!

Steve said...

That is too funny! Does the $2.69 get me the whole deal?

Melissa said...

That is too fucking cool!

SB said...

That's hilarious. I'm already having fun with my sister Emily on this next one.

Tragedy Shmagedy! I wants my funny!

p.p. said...

lol! "rubbers."

Jon said...

If you didnt' get em, the poverty would. did I really just say that? Sarcasm, people.......

Great picture!

ericorbit said...

oh great, so hurricanes spread STDs now?

Dennis! said...

Jon: When my friend IM'd me about the first five deaths, I joked something to the effect of "well at least it keeps them off American soil!" I felt bad making that joke, but oh well.

Eric: No, I do! Oh wait, that's not right....

Modigliani said...

Dennis, you cheap ho, you! LOL!
That totally made my day. :)

Dennis! said...

I am not cheap! :)

katie said...

Ha! That sign is fantastic.

Modigliani said...

But the sign says $2.69. That's pretty cheap (read: affordable!) LOL!

Any subliminal messages in that particular amount of change, there? hee hee hee ;)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!! I laughed until I stopped!!!

As a blogger who (among othe things) satires disasters, I loved this article! It's so rare to find a kindred spirit who is willing to poke fun at that which isn't much fun!

Actually, readers are that rare, laughers are even less rare, but finding another who enjoys writing of such things... Priceless. ;~D

RagDoll said...

I think I hurt myself. Ha ha ha. Can you imagine kids asking their parents why they are laughing? OMG. priceless.