Monday, October 25, 2004

I'm Getting Mean

This election is doing bad things to me. It's literally making me into a person who thinks things I don't like thinking. It's making me mean. Cases in point:

1: When I first heard this morning the Chief Justice William Rehnquist was hospitalized after undergoing a tracheotomy for throat cancer this past weekend, I was kind of excited. Then I was disappointed to hear that he'll probably be released soon, and will resume the bench by Monday.

2: When I heard that Attorney General John Ashcroft was hospitalized for pancreatitis or some other impairment of the gastric system (I forget when this happened), I was elated. I honestly entertained the idea of how wonderful it would be if he didn't survive that scenario. Again, I found myself let down when he survived and resumed his rampage against civil liberties. (Even then, though, I found myself thinking that I did just wish that it hurt like hell.)

3: I was actually rooting for the pretzel when Mr. Bush choked that time.

I hate the thought that I've been happy at the suffering and near-death of others. This is what this administration has done to me. I'm not blaming the Bush administration per se, but they sure haven't helped.

2 comments:

-Me said...

Ha! The Rehnquist thing scared me - especially if Bush were reelected. But as for Ashcroft's pancreatitis and Bush's pretzel...me too. And I read Nicholson Baker's book Checkpoint and was occasionally nodding my head...

p.p. said...

I'm the same. I think evil thoughts each time I see a "W" bumper-sticker. Also, I make a point to look at the retard driving the car, although I haven't yet flipped anyone off yet. Due time...