Monday, March 22, 2004

Stuttering Kojo

So I listen to NPR on the web while I'm at work. It's a streaming audio feed. I enjoy it even though I think there's a slight delay between what's being broadcast on radios and what I'm hearing on my machine.

Lately my machine has little hiccupping issues. Like it'll freeze up and refuse to do anything, especially when I try to send documents to print at the shared printer in the work room. The distracting thing, though, is the audio continues to work.

Or does it?

I wasn't paying much attention to it when this particular circumstance occurred today, until I found myself noticing how "short" Kojo Nnamdi was becoming with his caller. Basically, what I heard ended up sounding like this:

Kojo: "And what is your question?"
Caller: "My question is that [blah blah blah]...."
Kojo: "And what is your question?"
Caller: "My question is that [blah blah blah]...."
Kojo: "And what is your question?"

The first few times, I honestly thought that the caller was just babbling on about nothing and Kojo was somewhat abruptly urging her to get to her point by repeatedly asking her what the question was. Basically, the polite equivalent of "Shut yer yappin' and get to the friggin' point, time's a-wastin'!"

Then I finally realized that, with my machine in the midst of a prolonged hiccup, the audio connection was, effectively, skipping, much like a scratched 45. (Not that I've ever earned a turntable).

No comments: