Friday, May 05, 2006

Two Random Idiocy Stories

Some people can be so stupid....

I posted a Missed Connections ad on Craigslist recently. I do this for fun, mostly because I know they're never going to read/respond to it anyway, but it's fun to act like you're sending a signal out to that certain someone, even if you know it's futile.

Strangely enough, I got kind of excited when a message showed up in my Junk Mail folder with a subject line mirroring my ad. When I opened it, I was greeted with this message:

Dude, you are dumb.
Get a life.


Okay, buddy boy, I get your point. I'll now strive to get that fabulous life you apparently have -- you know, because people with lives put reading Craigslist and disparging people who post there at the top of their fascinating lives.



***

Today my office is freakishly empty. One guy who sublets part of our office space from us hasn't shown up at all.

The doorbell rings: it's a client of Absent Guy. She claims to have an appointment. I tell her that he's not here, and that I'm not his secretary so I don't keep track of his comings and goings, but it's not enough for her. But because I'm such a nice guy, I call Absent Guy on his cell phone to tell him someone is here claiming to have an appointment with him.

He asks that she be put on the phone, so I give her the phone. And I hear this:

I came because I live far away and it's hard to get here and I've been calling for the past two hours and no one picks up.

First: Uh, I guess that means you really didn't have an appointment, did you? And second: who the heck decides that, after calling someplace for 2 hours, the best course of action is to drive from "far away" to go to the Office-Where-No-One-Picks-Up-The-Phone? Shouldn't the fact that you've been calling for two hours to no avail send you the message that no one's there?

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I think you should forward the message from the first bit to the woman in the second bit. Unprofessional, I admit, but who does that? Just shows up at an office after calling for two hours?

Steve said...

Fro some strange reason, I LOVE reading Craigslist. And yeah, about 2 years ago, I posted a 'missed connection' knowing full-well he would never see it. Oh, and the no-appointment lady... people are stupid.

Cincy Diva said...

Actually I have done that. But I was in the neighborhood and just wanted to see why no one was ever able to answer the phone.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes vanity and common sense don't intersect.

katie said...

1) I love reading missed connections on Craigs list, and yes, I think I'm secretly hoping that one will be for me.

2) I haven't the words for that women.