Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Ties That Bind

Some things I picked up from this quick weekend jaunt to Los Angeles to see the 'rents (and others):

- Expect the worst. If for no other reason than, when it doesn't come to pass, what you get instead is a surprisingly pleasant time.

- My family has some deep-seated animosities toward the spouses of some of my cousins. I mean DEEEEP. Yikes.

- My Uncle Tim has a strange dynamic in his family: you can tell he really cares for them, but hot damn, he can be a dictator.

- I'm sooooo glad my mom and my Uncle Randy have mended their rift. It's nice to see them together again.

- What my family considers "fun" and what I consider "fun" differ wildly.

- My cousin (in the 7th grade) has some fascinating reading material. I picked some random young adult book I found in the car (because we weren't doing anything and I was bored) and couldn't put the book down. Well, that's also because I wanted to finish it before I left town again, and it's 260 pages. Even with young adult books, I'm not a very fast reader.

- "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)", a song I originally heard on the Flood album by They Might Be Giants (1990), is actually a cover of the same song by The Four Lads from 1953. Which is a little disappointing for me, because I though that song was just so wonderfully characteristic of TMBG's quirkiness, but it apparently wasn't unique. Ah well.

- I feel kinda bad now for those times I went to Los Angeles and didn't tell anyone in my family I was going. Mostly it was because I didn't want to feel obligated to call my relatives in the area, and besides, I had plans with friends that would have made carving out time for family difficult. But just the same, I feel bad for thinking bad things about why I didn't want to hang out with them.

Oh, and here's a photo of the infamous pool. If you see anyone in it, please tell me immediately, because I'm told that my cousin Bob asked Brandon to leave (politely, I hope). If he's still there, we'll have to have Bob come back and, well, ask again.

5 comments:

anne said...

All in all, a not-so-unpleasant time, then? Good.

Steve said...

The They Might Be Giants version of "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" was waaay better than the Four Lads. Ugh. Sooo, that's the pool? I'm still thinking about how creepy that post was. Hope you had a good trip.

katie said...

"What my family considers "fun" and what I consider "fun" differ wildly."
I can totally relate to this. Especially with my extended family, who think that spending all of their time stoping at every single roadside attraction is a good time.

Unknown said...

Brandon is there. And Brandon is hot. Tell him to stay.

ppwwand

Anonymous said...

"Expect the worst. If for no other reason than, when it doesn't come to pass, what you get instead is a surprisingly pleasant time."

This is pretty much my motto for life.